Admin / Finance / Comms / Other stuff
Freelance or staff
Leeds Community Homes needs some additional help and support in the office from November to January 2020. The jobs and tasks will be varied, though mainly admin. We need someone who can pick up a variety of jobs and tasks and get going quickly. You don’t need to know about community led housing but it would help. Mainly, you need to be flexible, good at admin, happy to pick up jobs that need doing, able to work on your own and just get on with things. And share our commitment to a more community led and cooperative world.
If you’re interested please email Steve Hoey email@example.com asap and by noon on 8th November with your CV and your availability.
The tasks we need covered……..
The actual tasks will be worked out on an ongoing basis based on the number of days you work but will/may include:
- Administration: Including general office support; dealing with enquiries; maintaining database of contacts; maintaining subscriptions; overseeing google drive; Board support
- Financial administration: Liaising with accountants re. LCH and project related finance records on Xero and Receipt Bank – paying invoices, salaries on HMRC RTI system and bank and set up payment of NI and taxes; prepare financial reports for colleagues, board, funders; other financial admin; diarise funding and finance deadlines and ensure these are met eg annual returns, insurance renewals, subscriptions etc; Any other financial administration tasks as required
- Communication / marketing / events: Event management and organisation; coordinating meetings with external stakeholders; arranging and supporting Board meetings; produce monthly members’ e-newsletter; manage our social media; other marketing and communications tasks as required
Where is the job?………
Based in LCH’s office in Cross Green - a 5-10 minute cycle ride from town or 15/20 mins walk from the Minster. There’s parking outside the building. The job will mainly be office based but can at times be worked remotely by agreement.
How long, money and all that…….
We need someone to start working for us as soon as possible. In an ideal world this would be someone available full time to the end of January. But we are open to offers and ideas. You’d need to be able to commit at least 21 hours or 3 days a week.
Money-wise, if this was a full time post it would be paid £25,000 a year. We can offer this as an employee contract at that salary pro-rata, or are happy to talk about a freelance daily rate.
Day to day you’ll be working to the CLT Director Steve Hoey and with our other current staff - Jimm Reed and James Newton. We’re a growing team and will be recruiting for 3 new posts during this time. You’d also be working with our voluntary Board of Directors and other associates who will be working either in the office or remotely from time to time.
Firstly we need you to be happy to be doing mainly admin work, picking up all sorts of tasks we need doing and just getting stuck in. But we also need you to be flexible and open to doing whatever’s needed. The kind of skills and experience you’ll need are:
- Organisation: disciplined, reliable, undertaking scheduling, liaising with colleagues, calendar
- Technology: proficiency in using a range of software/apps, including word processors, spreadsheets, databases, email, calendars, social media platforms
- Communication: excellent written and verbal language skills, professional and friendly, good customer service
- Time management: punctual and productive. Self motivated, open to feedback and tips.
- Office: safety, security, common sense, use of equipment (printers etc), ordering supplies
- Problem solving: flexible and creative, teamwork to find solutions
- Planning: prioritising, project management awareness, attention to detail, event organisation
- Learning: enjoyment of improvement, willingness to undertake training
- Policy: abiding by existing LCH policies, the law, sector good practice. Develop and review policies as required.
- Ethics: an understanding of and harmony with the values of the organisation. Integrity and trustworthiness.
What’s it like working at Leeds Community Homes…….?
Leeds Community Homes currently has 3 members of staff - who are often out and about. We also have some associates working from the office at different times. When all 3 are in its busy, but at other times it can be quiet. The office is nice and warm, the building is home to LEDA Architects and shared with other organisations including Zero Waste Leeds, the Empty Homes Doctor and Angels.
Our values and ethics are really important to us and its essential that everyone who works here shares those.
LCH prides itself on being a very friendly, open, happy, supportive, informal place to work. But we have a lot of demands on our time and so we have a lot to do and get through. But there’s always a lot of healthy food in the office - be warned!